Whenever I get into the car around sunset, I want to keep pushing west into the Mojave desert. All that strange spiritual space. The cheap motor lodges that advertise color television. The remote bars with blinking neon signs that you can hear. This is a soundtrack for long drives, cheap motels, and late nights.
01. AM Radio Scan #12
02. The Counts – Enchanted Sea
03. Dale Hawkins – Everglades
04. Wanda Jackson – Funnel of Love
05. The Saxons – Camel Walk
06. AM Radio Scan #18
07. The Centurions – Bullwinkle Part II
08. The Doors – Riders on the Storm
09. Balmorhea – Night Squall
10. P.G. Six – Letter
11. America – Ventura Highway
12. AM Radio Scan #20
13. Van Morrison – It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue
14. Eleventh Hours
15. Tom Waits – Jockey Full of Bourbon
16. Lee Hazlewood – The Night Before
17. Mojave 3 – My Life in Art
18. Godspeed You! Black Emperor – East Hastings
19. AM Radio Scan #13
Nobody could smoke a cigarette like Linda Darnell.
Snapshots from my classroom.
Stories from the white spaces on the map.
A dub field of mid-century blues.
Love among the ruins.
Lonely gas stations and motel neon.
Her best friend was a little battery-powered radio.
He felt close to her while he drove, his insides vibrating like a teenage dream.
Somewhere Roy Orbison plays on a battered old radio.